My sister and I got the chance to hear Richard Louv, the author of "Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder", speak at the Hoyt Sherman Theatre, sponsored by www.iowagogreen.com He started his "sermonette" with asking people to think of a place in nature where they went as a child. He gave many anecdotes but his main message is that those of us who had those places may be some of the last. Children today spend so much time indoors on the computer, playing video games, or perhaps outside but in structured activities (such as sports) that they don't have that special place to decompress, create, think, and reflect. I remember as a kid going to our backyard and sitting in our treehouse, we also had some woods at the end of our dead-end street and would go hang out there sometimes. When we started homeschooling we had a monthly "activity day" where we went to the Starr's Cave Nature Center. We had to cross Flint Creek to get into the cave, I never went very far into the cave because I was very claustrophobic, but I did enjoy playing in the creek. We went on the nature trails as well as learning about local habitat in the nature center. During the winter months we went cross-country skiing. I never considered myself to that much of an outdoors kid but I do remember my times outdoors very fondly. I remember spending a fair share of time playing outside with my brother and my cousin. We had all sorts of crazy adventures (spying on the neighbors from my cousin's bushes, pretending we lived outside, sleeping in our camper or hanging out in my cousin's tent). I think of my students and I realize how different their lives are from mine at that age. Many of them go to before school care AT school arriving as early as 6:15-6:30am and some staying as late as 6:15-6:30pm. They basically roll out of bed, go to school, eat breakfast, classes start at 8:10 and end at 2:40, then they go back to the school lunchroom or gym (occasionally playground) where they wait and hang-out until their parents/grandparents come to get them. For many kids this is 12 months a year! Any day that we don't have school, they're still at school all day! Summers bring occasional trips to the movies theater or pool. This doesn't take into account any sporting activity or music lesson they might have after school, maybe church on Wed. night, and homework! I'm getting depressed just thinking about it! I loved that he put things in a positive light in his lecture. To read more about this topic check out the link in my title. I just re-affirms in my mind that if I'm blessed with a husband and children someday, I REALLY think that I might want to homeschool them. Some of you know how crazy that sounds coming from me (that's another post in itself!). I don't want my 6 year old stuff into a desk for 6-7 hours a day, surrounded by at least 26 other kids at all times, and being taught by a stranger. I know there are other alternatives (Christian School...btdtwdia= been there done that won't do it again, or Montessori = a little hoity-toity sometimes). I don't think that it is bad to send your kids to school (or daycare) but one thing that I'm really glad my parents did (again, I can't believe I'm saying this) is give us the opportunity to explore and learn "alternatively". This though has led to some difficulties in my adult life, but that is also another post. Anyway, that is all for now. Just thought that maybe someone somewhere might enjoy learning about this topic and hopefully will do something about it!
See the Children and Nature link-->
1 comment:
I know exactly what you mean... I love knowing that my kids can play outside half the day and still get all their work done. The thing to remember with homeschooling is just to have a lot of momentum and to never get sort of "slow." If you just keep moving, changing it up, and reflecting... it's a lot easier to keep it from becoming stagnant.
I love you baby sis.
Post a Comment