Monday, October 06, 2008
A YouTube first!
I've never posted a YouTube video so I hope this works. As many/most of you know I started my teaching career at a "poor" school in an urban school district. Even though it was only for 6 months it was quite a change to move to a very wealthy suburban district (where I'm at now). I enjoy some of the benefits (higher salary) but last year was tough in many ways. Many of the students seem to feel such entitlement about everything. When discussing birthdays/vacations the majority were getting things like iPods and most families were taking expensive vacations over spring break (or during the school year). This year is different. Although I'm in the same district my school is smaller but more diverse. Yeah, we have some of the "country club" kids but we also have kids from a more diverse ethnic background with all kinds of life experiences.
My sister introduced me to this song last year and I fell in love with it (and later found out that Malvina Reynolds is known in the elementary music field for some of her other songs/work). Every day as I drive into town, past the new development with $700k houses, or the cheap looking $200k houses that are literally little boxes, I think of this song.
2 comments:
Another great post!
I cannot believe that you found this video! Could it be any more perfect and reflective of this song?????
This rocks. I will watch it whenever I want to feel super happy! Also whenever I feel that I should be living in a newer house that doesn't have a giant crack down the middle of the bathroom floor where the 6 inch mudbed that was installed in 1923 has decided to start showing some wear, I will watch this and think, "At least I don't live in a Little Box." :)
Post a Comment